Written by: Spirals | Date: 2013-02-11 08:46:14 | Related to: D3CL General
A rather large update from Lylirra this weekend for what essentially boils down to a name change. Perhaps anticipating the knicker-wringing that would follow they felt longer was better.
After reviewing feedback from the PTR, we’ve decided to rename dueling to brawling—a title we feel is much more fitting for the system. Rather than wait to announce this in the official patch notes, we wanted to let players know ahead of time, in part to reduce confusion and in part to explain the reasons behind the change.
While the system we designed for 1.0.7 was developed in order to give players a fun way to beat each other up in Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that “dueling” wasn’t the best name for it. Sure, it allows players to pummel, stomp, immolate, and hex fellow Nephalem (over and over again, if they so choose), but it’s not a traditional one-on-one duel. It’s something much more wild and open-ended, where you can engage in 3-person and even 4-person free-for-all skirmishes with few restrictions. The system is all about letting players fight for the sake of fighting—you don’t need to worry about objectives, rewards, or scoring, and that’s exactly what we love about it. But again, that’s not really dueling; it’s brawling!
There’s a lot of power in a name, and we think that the idea of a brawl more accurately describes the system we created. Heck, the NPC we added is even called Nek the Brawler, so we feel this re-branding must have been foretold in one of Deckard Cain’s prophecies.
This change will be reflected in the patch notes, as well as in all related game text fields once 1.0.7 ships. We’ve no further changes planned for brawling at this time, but we’re excited to see what kind of havoc players will wreak in the Scorched Chapel once the patch is released.
Feedback in the comments on the official site are typically pitiful so if your faith in humanity is tender as it is I recommend you don’t hop over for a read.
Duelling was always the incorrect word for it, brawling is as good as any for a four way potentially unbalanced fight.
Posted: 10 Feb 2013 11:14 AM PST; source incgamers
Written by: Hamer | Date: 2013-02-08 09:06:35 | Related to: Diablo 3 PvP
The first test season of our league on PTR servers has started a few days ago and we think it's a high time for initial conclusions. The main purpose of the league was to test our league systems and provide users the possibility to match each other before 1.0.7 was on official server. Despite the short period (6 days) that passed since PTR league started – there were 199 matches played. The current leader of the PTR league is Keen (keen#2513) from nC clan, who scored a perfect win ratio in his 35 matches. Sin (Sin#2384) is second (92% win ratios) and Duri (Duri#2262 FC clan, 73%) – third. Below you can find a bunch of statistics:
- 44 players participated – 13 Demon Hunters, 11 Monks, 9 Witch Doctors, 6 Barbarians and 5 Wizards. There are 13 more players signed, but they haven’t played any match yet
- Out of 199 matches the most were won by Witch Doctors – 40%, however when keen score would be deducted the percentage is much lower – 27% which can be compared to the results of Demon Hunters (27%) or Monks (23%). Barbarians scored 17% and Wizards 4%
- When we compare the average %win ratio per class we still note the best results from Witch Doctors at 77% (65% without keen’s score), Barbarians – 47%, Monks – 46%, Demon Hunters 41% and Wizards 16%
- Average ELO rating per class: Witch Doctor – 1323, Barbarian – 1202, Monk – 1194, Demon Hunter 1176, Wizard 1101. 1200 is a rating assigned when player joins a league and is evaluated after he finished at least 5 duels
- In the top 10 rank there are 5 Witch Doctors, 2 Monks, 2 Demon Hunters and 1 Barbarian
- Highest position achieved by class representative: Witch Doctor – 1, Monk – 2, Barbarian – 5, Demon Hunter – 8, Wizard – 16 (the first Wizard whose rank has changed when discarded the results of players who haven’t finished at least 5 duels)
- We note that a lot of duels were pretty one-sided as 60% of them ended with 5-0 result
For further details you can visit our website, where you can find the league rank, as well as the list of all scores.
Written by: Mag | Date: 2013-02-01 14:39:59 | Related to: Diablo 3 PvP
A couple of days ago we have published a news that Blizzard was considering changes in damage reduction. Looks like they found it necessary.
- Demon Hunters, Witch Doctors, and Wizards now receive a 30% damage reduction while in the Scorched Chapel
- Barbarians and Monks now receive a 35% damage reduction while in the Scorched Chapel
Note: Barbarians and Monks are receiving an additional 5% reduction due to the fact that they generally need to be closer to their targets (as compared to Demon Hunters, Witch Doctors, and Wizards)
- Nek the Brawler has been evicted from the Slaughtered Calf Inn and now resides alongside your followers in Act I. He's now also available in the Act II and Act III/Act IV hubs
- A PvP chat channel has been added
Written by: Hamer | Date: 2013-01-31 00:43:26 | Related to: D3CL General
D3CL crew is proud to announce that our test league is starting on the test PTR server. We are aware that some users are experiencing problems when connecting to PTR, but we want to be ready when 1.0.7 is on official servers. One of the reasons we are running the league is to determine what rules should we use in the duels organized by D3CL, other reasons are linked to technical side – we want to be sure that our systems are working properly and decide if league systems requires any improvements.
In the upper bar in League section you can find the league. There you can test the functionality of the system by challenging other users and adding the results.
Signups for the PTR League will be also available in the mentioned LEAGUE section. Stay sharp as we are running it soon!
Any remarks regarding the system and league screen should be addressed at our forum. Please try to add anything you regard as important, our forums require some fresh blood.
Written by: Mag | Date: 2013-01-26 11:26:21 | Related to: Diablo 3 PvP
Some information about the most annoying feature in PvP - lack of damage reduction:
This is very true, farming builds are not the most efficient for dueling and thus it is a very good idea to look into different more defensive builds.
That being said, we are considering some sort of damage reduction and we are looking into some possibilities on how we can do this without compromising the PvE gameplay. Dueling is not intended to be a core gameplay experience though, so we don't want to create all kinds of extended systems or complex restrictions just to regulate and/or balance dueling. So if there is a chance that a potential change or adjustment will negatively impact PvE gameplay, then we will not implement it, so it is possible that only minor adjustments will be made in the end without big changes to the system.
Written by: Spirals | Date: 2013-01-19 14:38:46 | Related to: D3CL General
Jay Wilson goes. Here's his goodbye topic: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994#1
Written by: Spirals | Date: 2013-01-19 14:37:29 | Related to: D3CL General
A interesting article by Flux from Incgamers regarding the duelling on PTR with alot of blue comments.
Most interesting statements:
Lylirra: Dueling isn’t intended to be balanced, though, so don’t expect a fair fight. That’s not what dueling is about. There will probably be some match-ups in which you’re one-shotted (this is a big reason why we have no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment). There will also probably be some match-ups in which you one-shot other players. Your heroes are designed to kill things quickly and without mercy, and in this case those “things” just happen to be other heroes.
why not give a damage reduction for pvp. at least give every class the 30%
Lylirra: Like I said, we’re not opposed to making changes, even ones along the lines of a universal damage debuff while in the dueling zone. The point of the PTR is to get feedback from players so we can make those kinds of tuning adjustments if necessary.
Written by: Mag | Date: 2013-01-15 22:29:52 | Related to: Diablo 3 PvP
1.0.7 Patch is now available on PTR server. You can fight your first battles. Unfortunately it's one hit duel so far. You can watch duels in the following stream:
Written by: Mag | Date: 2013-01-12 09:29:41 | Related to: Diablo 3
Blizzard has published 1.0.7 Patch preview. Most important issues related to PvP:
- To duel another player, you’ll need to speak with Nek the Brawler at the inn in New Tristram
- Speaking with Nek will take you and your party to the Scorched Chapel, a new zone designed specifically for player combat
- This zone has custom geometry and features four different areas: the church, the graveyard, the river, and the lake
- Dueling currently supports up to four players in a Free-For-All format, which means you can battle your friends either one-on-one, three-player FFA, or a full four-player FFA
Our intent is to provide players a safe, opt-in location where they can fight one another for bragging rights (or maybe science) without the potential for griefing as it existed in Diablo II.
The game doesn't keep score and there are no objectives. We wanted dueling to be as simple and straightforward as possible, so we created a minimalist system -- we know that even without rewards and objectives, some players just want to beat each other up. Some matchups may be one-sided, and we don't expect that battles will be necessarily balanced. But that's okay, because dueling in Diablo III is more about kicking ass and taking names in a no-holds-barred sort of way, and this design certainly allows you to accomplish that.
- If you die in the dueling world, you will be resurrected in the dueling zone
- Death is not permanent in the dueling zone, even for Hardcore characters
- You don't take any durability damage while in the dueling zone
- When you're done dueling you can take a portal out or use your Town Portal to return to town.
More information is available here http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7029168/Patch_107_Preview-12_01_2013.
Written by: Mag | Date: 2013-01-10 09:56:58 | Related to: Diablo 3 - press review
Blizzard has announced that patch 1.0.7 will appear on the PTR (Public Test Realm). Hope that all critical errors will be corrected before duels will start officialy.
PTRs are planned indeed :-)